Friday, December 18, 2009

I am now kinda a hockey mom- and I love it!


I have never been a hockey mom- I fact I was almost the complete opposite, the girls have always done water sports, not ice sports. I have spent many, many years at the pool side cheering them on whether it was a synchro meet or a lane race I always went to show my support.
Early on in our marriage Shawn used to coach hockey- this was a passion for him. As the years have gone by and we have been more involved with the girls Shawn stopped coaching, he still played on a team so he got his hockey fix that way. I have been to see my god sons play games and to watch the leafs. I love live sports but I never really got that into it as I didn't really have anything invested in the games.
Well over the past year this has changed. It started last year with Nicole's boyfriend Josh. Josh plays house league hockey and Shawn and I would accompany Nicole to the games to watch Josh play. It was fun. I enjoyed watching Josh tear up the ice and score goals. I still had no idea what was going on other then the fact you need to get the puck in the net but hey it was a start!
This season Josh is still playing and Shawn has started coaching again. Shawn helps out coaching the Kitchener Jr Rangers AAA midget team- now this is where it gets a bit convoluted so follow along- Josh's younger brother Jeff is the goalie on the team, one the girl's high school teachers is also a coach and my girl friend Kirsten's husband is the head coach ( it really is a very small world)
I have now become obsessed with the sport. I try to get to all the games. I know who the players are, I get to visit with Josh's parents at the games, I have a common interest to share with Shawn but mainly I am just in awe of Jeff! This guy can grab a puck out of thin air. I can't even figure out where the puck is and he has it. The reflexes it takes to be a goalie are astonishing. Jeff is the most flexible guy I know- he does the splits and is up and down on the ice in an instant- it is great to watch.
The team mom's have taken me under their wing- they answer my silly questions and explain things to me. I am starting to get the hang of the game, I still don't get icing but I am sure it will come. I appreciate their support and patience.
So now I spend my time in icy cold arenas, I cheer when we get goals, I hate it when we get penalties and I am like a proud mom when we win. I say things like- "no I can't go scrapbooking this weekend we have a game"- words I never in a million years thought I would hear coming out of my mouth- as Nicole likes to point out- I don't actually have a game- Josh, Jeff or Shawn may have a game but I don't - although I do like to think of myself as part of the team!!
Go Rangers Go!!

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! Have fun at the arena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being a hockey mom...I love walking from the lobby into the arena...there is a smell, I can't describe it except that, to me, it smells like hockey. It is exciting to be a part of the team...This week at the torch lighting ceremony, I was cheering loudly, and Tyler wondered at my enthusiasm...Brooke said.."Ty, she's a professional spectator!" Sometimes they really get me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a hockey mom is one of my favourite things. Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete