Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Movies, Movies and More Movies

There are a few things that I like to do when I have some spare time- scrapbook, read & watch movies. I watch movies at home on DVD occasionally but I really prefer to have the whole theatre experience. I like to see movies before lots of people see them and I get too many opinions- I like to make up my own mind about movies. I like all kinds of movies, from action to science fiction, drama, animated, chick flicks with my least favourite being the ones with 12 year old boy humour (Adam Sandler- Ben Stiller- you know what I mean). Over the Christmas holiday I managed to take in 4 films and I am happy to say I wasn't disappointed in any of them I went to see Sherlock Holmes with my parents and Shawn. I have had a huge crush on Robert Downey Jr for most of my life. It started with Less Than Zero and Air America. I loved him in Ally McBeal- I know he has had his issues but come on, the man is amazing! I had been really looking forward to this movie for the past year. It wasn't the best movie I saw over the holiday but it was enjoyable and worth seeing and Robert does take his shirt off a few times.
Katie and I went to see Up In The Air. It was very good. The story line is a bit depressing and really hit home with us after what Shawn went through this year. I think Katie got a new perspective as to how Shawn may have felt when he got laid off- he didn't really let the girls see how hard and depressing it was for him- we tried to keep it positive at home but there were times that were tough. I thought it ended on a hopeful note and George Clooney does a great job ( doesn't look to shabby either!).
I went out for lunch and to a matinee with my friends Gen, Michelle and Deb to see The Blind Side. This movie is very uplifting - it is based on a true story. I love true story sports movies- they always hit me in the heart. I don't always love Sandra Bullock but she really, really impressed me in this movie- by the second scene I had forgot it was even her playing the role. I would recommend this movie to everyone, it is a great, uplifting story.

This was my favourite movie of the holidays. It may just be my favourite movie of all time. Nicole, Josh and I stood in line for 2 hours to see this and it was well worth it. I knew from the first trailer that I saw that the movie was going to be visually stunning but I had no idea how great it actually would be. The 3D effect is very subtle- you feel like you are in the movie- it is not the old things popping out into you face kind of 3D. I really liked the story, I thought it had a wonderful message and the 3 hours went by in no time. Nicole and everyone else I have talked to all liked the movie and Josh thought it was Da Bomb- high praise there.
So there you have it- my take on a few ways you can spend some free time.


1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the other movies you wrote about, but I did love Avatar! I saw it in 3D IMAX and it was so worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete