Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Baseball Filled Weekend


I got to spend the weekend watching some really good baseball. I think that baseball is my favourite sport because it is the one sport I used to play. I understand the rules, I know the plays. I have watched my girls play field hockey and rugby for years and I still don’t understand those games and don’t even get me started on synchro swimming judges!!
Nicole’s boyfriend, Josh, played in the Cannon Cup this weekend in Oakville. This is an All-Star amateur ball tournament that has run for the past 15 years. Josh was very happy to be picked for the All Star team that was made up of the best of the best in his league. He is a very good second base player, can grab the ball out of the sky and throws it with an amazing ease and grace. I love watching athletes that make it all look so simple. I was impressed by the solidarity of the team who have only been together for a short time, their support and encouragement was great to see in 18 year old boys.
It was a tense, suspenseful weekend, lots of sitting on the edge of our seats biting our nails. Nicole was holding her breath at one point I’m sure. Josh’s team came back from a 3 to 4 deficit to win the final game with a grand slam homerun. It was like something out of the movies! The cheer that went up from the crowd, the looks on the players faces- it was so great to be a part of that moment.
The tournament is named after Mike Cannon, a baseball enthusiast who worked for the Toronto Blue Jays. Mike’s daughter was at the field on Sunday to award the winners their championship rings after the game. It was touching to hear her speak about her dad and his love of the game, his joy in watching players who are in it for the sport not the big salaries. The boys were very proud of their accomplishment- it is one they will not soon forget.








No comments:

Post a Comment