Friday, August 7, 2009

The Princess Cinemas


August 4th & 6th—We are very lucky here in Waterloo Region to be home to the Princess Cinemas. These theatres are privately run and get in films that are not main stream. I like quirky movies, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine and Lars and the Real Girl are a few that come to mind. This week Nicole and I went to an afternoon showing (yes I did it again) of 500 Days of Summer. What a great movie! It states right at the beginning that it is a story about love, not a love story. The movie does a great job of flipping around the 500 days of a relationship, the music is great and I loved the wardrobe. I am glad that with the Princess we get the opportunity here to see films that we otherwise would not be able to.

Another reason to love the Princess is that they host the movies in the park. This is a free (food bank donation accepted) event that is open to the public. My mom, Nicole, Josh and I went to Waterloo Park last night to watch Coraline. What a great night! The weather cooperated; there were hundreds of people there, from babies to retired folks, sitting on blankets and lawn chairs. There was a band playing live music first, people were dancing and clapping along. As the sun started to set the movie screen inflated at the front of the crowd- so cool. The movie started and everyone was quiet- it was amazing. I must say I didn’t really like the movie- it was kinda dark and twisted for a kid’s movie but I did really enjoy sharing the experience with the people I was with. It made me think of living in a small town or of the good old days when I think community events like this were more commonplace. It was an experience I would recommend to everyone and one I hope to repeat- say on August 20th???

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun. I am going to add this to my 'things to do' this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I didn't even realize they did this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They hold an outdoor movie night in Goderch once a year. It's a fun family experience.

    ReplyDelete