Friday, May 8, 2009

Marley & Me


Katie and I are having a mother daughter movie night. We decided to watch Marley & Me. We already saw the movie in December in the theatre but now we have it on DVD.

I ready the book a couple of years ago. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw the cover because the picture reminded me so much of our dog Tucker, when he was a puppy. I loved the story, so much of it was our life, I could relate totally to Marley's owners.

The book got passed around the family, Nicole then Katie read it, my parents, some friends and then SHAWN read it. Notice the Shawn is all in capitals? Well that is because he reads about 1 novel a year so this was a big deal. This was the first book that all 4 of us had read. It was great to be able to talk about it as a group. The girls and I all cried when we read the book, Shawn did not but he was emotional.

I loved the book- I did not love the movie. I am never usually happy with how they change the story. I thought the movie was a good film on it's own but as a representaion of the novel it left a lot to be desired. I can't stand it when they add characters or plot lines to make things happen. I know you can't get characters thoughts and feeling across on film like you can in a book- don't even get me started on Twilight, but they should be able to make the movie more like the book.
Books , for me, will always be the better choice

2 comments:

  1. Definitely i'm a book over movie gal! Enjoy your movie night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son and I went to see this movie when it first came out - not a good movie choice as we had just lost our beloved Chelsea dog a couple of months earlier. We both cried! It gave us lots to talk about though.

    ReplyDelete