Monday, May 18, 2009

Migraines


Do any of you out there get migraines?

I do. Not very often and I usually can control them if I catch them quickly enough. This weekend I had worst migraine I have ever had since my very first one. With my first migraine, about 12 years ago, I had no idea what was going on. I thought I was dying, I was throwing up, my vision was going and my head felt like it was going to explode. Luckily my mother-in-law was a nurse as well as a migraine sufferer so she knew what do to.

Since then I have been to see the doctor as well as the ophthalmologist to get some information. I suffer from ocular migraines, which is why my eyesight can be impacted. I don't have a trigger for my migraines except for the weather. Spring and Fall are when they happen for me- when there are wild fluctuations in the barometric pressure. I have read articles saying that there is no proof that barometric pressure causes migraines but I disagree strongly. I can usually tell when they are coming, I start to feel sick. I take Advil migraine and Gravol and head to bed. I usually can sleep it off. The one I had this weekend was bad- I was in bed for 24 hours straight. My mother -in -law had to come over with her magic little pills.

I am curious to hear from anyone else who has migraines- what triggers them? What do you do when you have one? I am interested to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. I get migraines too, I've had them since I was 2 years old. I have never had a regular headache, when I get a headache it's a migraine. I get them usually once or twice a month. What triggers them?? For me, it's a few different things, it's the weather, or the food I eat (MSG) and sometimes just stress. They aren't fun I know, usually it's a tylenol and off to bed. When I was younger I would get sick to my stomach, but that only happens when the bad ones come now, which I can usually avoid. I also use a cold cloth on my forehead, it helps. After a good nights sleep I'm good to go the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that you were not well this weekend. I don't suffer from migraines, and I can't imagine how it feels. I have regular headaches once in a while, and they are bad enough. Glad you are feeling better and hopefully it is awhile before you get another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had about 3 migraine attacks in my lifetime and I remember them distinctly. My first was about 15 years ago and it was the mother of all migraine attacks and landed me in the hospital. I had been cleaning my stove and believe the fumes was what did it. I had the other two in the past few years and both times I had just finished eating pork tenderloin. When it occurred the second time, I stopped eating tenderloin, but eventually went back to eating it and it never triggered a migraine agan. So, not really sure what sets them off, but glad they've stayed away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you were suffering this weekend. I've only ever had migraines when I was pregnant (and only with one of my children) and was told they were from the change in hormones. A girlfriend swears by Excedrin for her bad headaches although she finds it hard to buy and usually gets it in the States. Keep well. Lori S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain! I had one myself this weekend and they are not fun at all. Usually, I catch them in time now because I have had since my early teens, but when I don't - OUCH! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I can relate. I know that at least some of the time mine are triggered by other medications I am on. And other times I'm fairly sure it's the weather. The pain is bad but tolerable for me, it's the wicked nausea and body pain that kills me. I just feel like I've been run over. I alternate ibuprofen gel-caps with extra-strength Tylenol, and I have one of those chiropractic thumping machines I use on my back, and hopefully it's gone within the day.

    ReplyDelete