Friday, July 17, 2009

Wisdom Teeth

July 16th-- I had to take Nicole to get her wisdom teeth out today. I was very nervous. Nicole has never really been sick, never been in the hospital, had surgery or broken any bones ( yes I am knocking on wood as I type this) so this was going to be a new experience. She hadn't had anesthetic before so I didn't know how she would react.
Of course everything was fine. She was in and out of there in less that 40 minutes! I spent the day icing her up ( baggies of peas tied in a scarf worked very well), giving her pain pills and trying to get her to eat or at least drink something. She slept a lot. Josh came over and they started to watch the Harry Potter movies from the beginning- getting ready to see the new one on Saturday. Josh just had his teeth taken out 2 months ago by the same doctor so he knew how she was feeling. I was dispatched to get Frosties from Wendy's as these are apparently the best things for when you get your teeth out- she didn't eat it.

She is doing ok today- not a lot of swelling. We are moving on to heat now instead of ice, pain pills are being dispensed less often, there is not much swelling, she is rinsing with salt water but still wont really eat or drink. Grandma just brought over her favourite homemade soup so I am hoping that will do the trick.

It is never fun as a parent when your kids are hurting. Your impulse is to do whatever you can to take the pain away and make them feel better. I think we have come through this episode ok- we both survived- at least for today

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy - Spencer is scheduled to have all four of his wisdom teeth out the first week of August and I am really nervous! I am so glad to see that Nicole is doing well - how is it that she can look so good after having surgery? Maybe it is the blessing of being young and beautiful! I am glad that you are both surviving.

    ReplyDelete