Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Banks-what a pain!


So today when I dropped Nicole off at work I went in to pick up a few groceries. As I went to pay with my debit card I was declined. My card had been cancelled! What the heck! I have money in the bank, haven't had any issues, what's the problem?? I stopped in at the bank on my way home, apparently there had been some kind of breach of security at "some terminal somewhere" and that my card "may or may not be compromised". Now I am all for being secure and I appreciate that bank lose all kinds of money from fraud but should they be allowed to cancel my card whenever they feel like it? I don't think so. Luckily I have other accounts at other banks so I was OK today but what if I didn't? What if I was travelling? What if I was Katie, my daughter, in a foreign country? People depend on these cards to survive -you can't just take away our lifelines. Things like this really tick me off. Isn't this why my card has one of those chips in it? Wasn't that supposed to prevent issues like this?

Thanks for letting me rant.

1 comment:

  1. That's happened to me too - once with my debit card and once with my VISA. I agree with your rant - I wish they had at least phoned and told me they were cancelling it!

    ReplyDelete