Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter






Easter over the past couple of years has changed a lot in our family. Last year we were in a hotel on our way home from Florida with my parents. This year Katie is gone on her exchange and Nicole is almost an adult. There was no colouring of eggs, no early morning egg hunt and Nicole didn't even get out of bed until 10:00 to open her present. It was very different then the years of past when we got up with the sun to hunt down mini eggs from all over the house, when I had to come up with a hundred and one ways to use up hard boiled eggs because girls would colour dozens of them and there were fancy Easter dresses.
My girls are the oldest grandchildren in both of mine and Shawn's families- luckily my brothers and Shawn's sister still have little kids. We went to the in-laws yesterday for dinner- my parents are still in Florida this year. Millie and Bill have always had a egg hunt fort the grandchildren This year that was changed as well- Nicole and Josh got the job of hiding the eggs for the cousins. They had a great time finding all the nooks and crannies to put the eggs in. Wilson and Evan raced around the place hunting them all down.
Easter may have changed over the years but that isn't necessarily a bad thing- just a sign of the times.

2 comments:

  1. My house was sadly silent for an Easter Sunday as well. Just me and Curt. Paige worked all day, Courtney headed back early to Waterloo to empty out her dorm and Jeff was also workng. Thank goodness i stll have Curt or i would have spent the most part of Easter alone. The downside of kids growing up...they move on without you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in a similar situation! My youngest is almost 16. My oldest is away at University and did not join us for Easter as he is studying for finals. Luckily, I have many young nieces and nephews and we still enjoyed our annual Easter egg hunt for them. Things do change, but we can still find many blessings as we create new traditions along the way.

    ReplyDelete