Saturday, April 25, 2009

Everyone can use a Little Mothering

As I have said before family is very important to me. I live about 10 minutes from the house I grew up in. I talk to my parents every day and we eat there at least once a week. We still take at least one camping trip together a year. My girls are extremely close to their grandparents. This is especially nice for me to experience as I have never had grandparents who lived in Canada. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all live in England. The world is a much smaller place with computers. I can keep in contact with everyone in England and we visit back and forth but I have never had the kind of relationship with my relatives that Nicole and Katie have with theirs.

My parents are at the stage in life now when they can travel and take time for themselves. I am so happy that they can do this - they deserve it, they have earned it. They take off in their trailer with their gang and head out on the open road a couple of times a year. They are usually gone for 6- 8 weeks. They have seen some amazing places, I envy them.

With all that has happened this week I have come to realize that I still need a little mothering. Shawn and I are a team- have been for over 20 years now. There isn't anything that we can't face together. While I am very sure of that fact I would still like to have my Mommy tell me that everything is going to be OK. My parents are my touchstone, my safety net, the people who I know will go to end of the earth for me.



My Mom and Dad are into week 7 of their Spring trip. We joined them in Florida for a week in March and we haven't seen them since. Skype is OK but it is not the same as a face to face. On Thursday when the stuff was hitting the fan I really wanted to talk to my parents. They must be psychic because when I walk into the house the phone was ringing.. it was mom calling to see what was new.. exactly what I needed to hear.

1 comment:

  1. it's great that you have such a bond wth your mom. i hope my kids will always feel the same about me as i do about them in years from now.

    ReplyDelete