Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hobbies

I think that everyone should have a hobby. Something that you feel passionate about, that you enjoy spending time doing, something that belongs to you that you can take pride in.




My hubby Shawn's hobby is golf. This is something that Shawn feels very strongly about, something he spends hours playing, talking about and watching. I know once the nice weather gets here in the Spring that I should no longer plan on seeing Shawn most Saturday or Sunday mornings. Shawn is an early riser, he is usually up and gone by 7:30 in the morning, this means he gets his 18 holes in before lunch, then he is home to do things with the family or around the house. Not a bad deal for me- I still get to sleep in :). Shawn's golfing has taken him to many wonderful spots across Canada and the States. I am envious of some of the beautiful places that he has gotten to play.




My hobby is scrapbooking. It is something that I have been doing for the past 8 years. I have met so many wonderful people because of my hobby, learned so many new techniques and gotten so many great ideas that my passion for scrapbooking has not dimmed at all. It gets me out of the house, I get to visit and catch up with friends when I go to crops at my favourite store- Two Scrapbook Friends- in Waterloo. I get tones of pages done and have a fantastic time when I attend their retreats. I love to share my finished books with my family and I have created albums for many of them as gifts for weddings, or special birthdays.




Hobbies are personal, nobody should ever judge someone for something they are passionate about- you can't understand it unless you feel the same way. A couple of years ago I thought I would take golf lessons to see what the big deal was. My girlfriend Gen and I took 6 weeks of lessons, we learned all the basics. It was a lot of fun and I had a good time but quiet frankly I didn't get it! What could compel me to get up early every weekend, hit a little white ball for hours and want to go back every week to do it over and over again? I realized at that point that I was better of to let Shawn enjoy his hobby with other who felt the same way as he did ...after all I can't imagine him sitting with me at a scrapbooking class getting excited over bling, buttons and ribbon.

2 comments:

  1. My problem is i have too many hobbies and have a hard time balancng them all since i become so consumed by them. Some would argue that's having too much time on my hands, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does sleeping count as a hobby? i'm pretty good at that.

    ReplyDelete