Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reading


I love to read. I spend many hours lost in other worlds, sometimes I forget to eat, do laundry and even get dressed. I love books, all kinds of stories. I think my favourite type of fiction is historical but I am not opposed to any type- except for trashy romance- can't stand them! Being a part of a book club helps to get me to try other types of books, different authors, books I maybe would never have looked at at the library but have ended up thoroughly enjoying.

I love the One Book One Community initiative that we have going on here locally. I have joined in by reading their selections for the past few years. For the most part I have really enjoyed the books. This year they have chosen The book of Negros by Lawrence Hill and I am thrilled with the choice. I bought this book for my friend Gen 2 years ago for Christmas. I saw it on the store shelf and was drawn in by the cover, it is very powerful. She loved it and let me borrow it. We decided to read it for our book club and had great discussions around it. It is a very moving story about the slave trade. Everyone should read this book- you will not regret it.

I am always looking for new books to read. I will admit that I am guilty of judging books by their covers. If a cover doesn't draw me in I won't pick it up. I know I miss many good stories by doing this. I'd much rather read books that others have read and recommended to me. When I find an author I like I read all the books they have written. I have authors that I follow, I eagerly await their next release but there is always more books out their for me to read. I would love it if some of you would recommend books for me to read and I will give you a brief list of some of my favourite books for you to check out.

1. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

2. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

3. Plain Truth (or anything) by Jodi Picoult

4. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

5. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

The is also The Harry Potter series, The Twilight books, and my all time favourite Gone with the Wind.

Happy reading everyone!!!

4 comments:

  1. 2 of my favourite authors are Timothy Findley and E.M.Forster. Have you read anything by either of them? Findley is a Canadian author, probably most famous for _The Wars_. My Findley faves are _Last of the Crazy People_ and _The Telling of Lies_. Plus I love his short stories.

    Forster wrote the books behind all those Merchant-Ivory films: _Room with a View_, _Howards End_, _Passage to India_ and so on. I really dig those movies (have you seen them? I'm sure you must have) but I love the books even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to read also, but haven't picked up a book in a very long time...sad, i know. But i love historcals and mysteries with a dash of romance, and if a book can combne all 3, then even better. My favorte writer is Tess Gerritsen, a medical thriller writer. i've loved all her books. i'm also a fan of chiclit, the funnier, the better. Meg Cabot's adult books are hilarious---Size 12 is not Fat series are very good. Jane Green is my favorte Brit chicklit writer---Jemima J and Mr. Maybe---FUNNY. And then closer to home, Canadian writer Susan Juby's young adult books are actually really mature and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love british chick lit= shopaholic, anything by Marian Kayes and Mike Gayle. I also love mysteries, Johnathan kellerman. I will actually read just about anything I can get my hands on.I will check out Tess Gerritsen.

    Michelle- why haven't you picked any of those for book club??

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess i never think to pick books i've already read. but i definitely should - then we can watch the movie too! plus i haven't read them in many, many years... which one to choose.....

    ReplyDelete